Wednesday 27 February 2013

Heat damage-What's that? and how to protect your hair

Hey guys,

As I thought about updating my blog's healthy hair care section I decided to focus on something a lot of us have experience with. Any guesses? Well its heat! We all live in the same world of tosseled hair on magazines and beach waves, and I live in the Bahamas and i've seen the Banana split come back in style...All of these styles have one thing in common, the use of heat. Sure, you can make 1 or 2 of these styles with heatless methods but a lot of us jump for the easy 10seconds around the curling wand method. Although I do not use heat on my hair right now, I thought this would be helpful for those of you that do or those who are contemplating to. Whether you prefer a flat iron, barell curler, hot rods or a blow dryer, if you want healthy hair its good to have some tips to follow concerning the use of heat products.


Heat damage - What is it?

Damage caused by the use of heating appliances such as blow dryers, crimpers, flat irons, curling irons etc.

So, here are my tips for protecting your hair while using heat. 

1. Monitor your heat usage.
Please don't use heat more than necessary especially if your hair is in its natural state. Natural hair is prone to drying and breakage, the overuse of heat will only make these to effects worse.

2. Use a heat protectant.
The use of a heat protecant will not protect your hair 100% from heat damage but their use is still imperative when you want to add some heat.

3. When flat ironing ensure that you use a flat iron that is temperature controlled. This will help you monitor the temperature at which you will be ironing your hair. Healthy hair burns above 450oF. 

 4. Only pass over a section once.
Please do not get flat iron happy. Passing over a section once will allow you to monitor how much heat is actually being applied to your hair.

5. Make sure your hair is completely dry before flat ironing.

6. Make sure your hair is clean!


Heat free styles may take a bit more work but if you want to protect your hair start incorporating them into your weekly regimen. I'll be posting later about some very nice heat free styles. 

Xo Drea12:9

Blessings & Love

Stay connected with me by liking me on facebook and following me on twitter @242Naturalista


No comments:

Post a Comment