Monday 18 March 2013

My Perfect Bantu knot out

Hey guys, so I found the secret to the perfect bantu knot out. LOL...please understand my excitement because bantu knot outs, like most natural/transitioning hairstyles take a lot of practice. This was my third time trying bantu knots and I think i've cracked it.

Bantu knots/outs are a really beautiful protective and transitioning style. While blending both textures for the transitioner, if done correctly you will have nice volume and defined curls or really nice loose waves.

So here are my results.




Can you tell that I was really feeling my hair?



To achieve this look, I had about 35 bantu knots in my hair. I used my aloe and water spritz (will blog on this later) to detangle my hair and then used my whipped shea butter mix for each section (let me know if you want to see my mix).

So what's the secret?
There are a couple things that help with getting a perfect bantu knot out.

1. Determine how defined you want your curls
              For a more defined look, you need more bantu knots. For a more wavy definition use less bantu               knots (about 6).

2. Find a really good styling product
            Everyone does bantu knots differently but the one cohesive thing is that you need a good styler. Whether you use a leave in conditioner like Cantu Shea butter, a curling product like Miss Jessies Baby buttercreme or something as simple as shea butter, you need a product that will give you a really good hold. This will help the curls to clump better and give you the definition you desire.

3. Twist your hair first and then roll your bantu knots
            Twisting your hair and then rolling it tightly (not too tight), before bantu knotting helps with definition. Be sure that when forming the bantu knots, you don't unravel the twist as your rolling.

4. Your Bantu knots should have height
            As you wind the rolled twist on itself, each bantu knot should have height. You should not be overlapping as this adds to drying time and looser curls.

5. Make sure your hair is dry before the takedown
        The thing about bantu knot is that your hair must be dry, like DRYYYYYYYYYYY before you take them down. Why am I stressing dry? Well, if your hair isn't dry, you won't have the look of really defined curls. Also, your hair will drop a lot faster (who wants one side of their hair to be really curly and nice and the other side to be stretched out?).

6.Don't forget to separate
           Separation of the curls helps to give some more volume to your hair. The more you separate the more   frizz you will achieve and the more your hair will look like a nice and cute curly fro.


All in all those are my tips for the perfect bantu knot out. Have you tried this style?

I forgot to mention I even got second day hair out of this and I did not re-knot. I simply placed a hair band around my curls and pulled them to the top of my head like the pineapple method.

2nd day hair pics



The curls are a bit more frizzy as expected. If I want to change it up later, i'll make a high puff out of the curls.

Thanks for reading.


Don't forget to connect with me
Facebook/Twitter/ Youtube- 242Naturalista

I love you for reading
Blessings & Love
Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment